A film genre which has always sparkled the imagination of composers, horror films often feature dark, suggestive and exciting scores. Some of the most quintessential moments in film music history comes from horror films – who will ever forget Bernard Herrmann’s dissonant glissandi violin stabs emulating the murderer’s knife in Psycho, the latin chants of Jerry Goldsmith’s The Omen or the heartbreakingly beauty of Johan Söderqvist’s Let the Right One In? These are, of course, all featured in the Soundtracks Live!’s Chiller Concerto.
Just like our other historical genre overviews, the music is presented in chronological order, beginning with one of the most important silent classics, Nosferatu from 1922, and then showcasing one quintessential horror score after another, roughly one from every decade, ending with Spanish composer Roque Baños’ complex music for the 2013 remake of Evil Dead. Baños, who is also a first rate conductor, is Soundtrack Live’s suggested conductor for the whole program.
Chiller Concerto is, of course, a perfect program for any orchestra looking for the perfect Halloween roof-lifter!
Program includes music from the following films*:
- Max Steiner: King Kong (Merian C. Cooper, 1933)
- Franz Waxman: The Bride of Frankenstein (James Whale, 1935)
- Alfred Newman: The Hunchback of Notre Dame (William Dieterle, 1939)
- Georges Auric: Dead of Night (Alberto Cavalcanti/Charles Chrichton/Basil Dearden/Robert Hamer, 1945)
- James Bernard: Dracula (Terence Fisher, 1958)
- Bernard Herrmann: Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock, 1960)
- John Williams: Jaws (Steven Spielberg, 1975)
- Jerry Goldsmith: The Omen (Richard Donner, 1976)
- Jerry Goldsmith: Poltergeist (Tobe Hooper, 1982)
- Jerry Goldsmith: Gremlins (Joe Dante, 1984)
- Christopher Young: Hellraiser/Hellbound: Hellraiser II (Cliver Barker/Tony Rande, 1987/1988)
- Marco Beltrami: Scream (Wes Craven, 1996)
- Johan Söderqvist: Let the Right One In (Tomas Alfredson, 2008)
- Roque Baños: Evil Dead (Fede Alvarez, 2012)
* All Soundtracks Live! concert programs are subject to client customization to meet your specific demands. The program above features choir but can be adjusted to be orchestral only. Please contact Soundtracks Live! to discuss!
Suggested SOUNDTRACKS LIVE! conductor for this program: ROQUE BAÑOS
VIDEO: Roque Banos: Evil Dead (Fede Alvarez, 2012):
SPOTIFY: Selected concert pieces (please note that arrangements may differ slightly from the versions available on Spotify).