The mystery of eternal universe – and the fictional adventures taking place in galaxies far, far away – has always sparkled the creativity among composers. We all have Gustav Holst and The Planets to thank for igniting the fire, and John Williams for carrying the torch into the 21st century, but the science fiction film genre has also given us many other great musical classics.
The Soundtracks Live! presentation Space Symphony takes the listener on a journey from the 1960s original Star Trek to James Horner’s colorful musical accompaniment to the ground-breaking Avatar. Quintessential film composer Jerry Goldsmith was one of the most important genre composers; this program features three of his works (the Bartok-inspired Planet of the Apes, the surprisingly romantic Alien and the adrenaline-pumping Total Recall).
Of course, the concert also features music from John Williams’ Star Wars saga as well as one of the modern classics of sci-fi cinema: The Matrix, a powerful modernist score composed by Don Davis. Mr. Davis is also the suggested Soundtracks Live! conductor for this event!
Program includes music from the following films*:
- Alexander Courage: Star Trek (Gene Roddenberry, 1966)
- Alex North: 2001 – A Space Odyssey (unused score) (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)
- Jerry Goldsmith: Planet of the Apes (Franklin J. Schaffner, 1968)
- John Williams: Star Wars – Episode IV: A New Hope (George Lucas, 1977)
- John Williams: Star Wars – Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (Irvin Kershner, 1980)
- John Williams: Star Wars – Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (Richard Marquand, 1983)
- Jerry Goldsmith: Alien (Ridley Scott, 1979)
- James Horner: Aliens (James Cameron, 1986)
- Elliot Goldenthal: Alien 3 (David Fincher, 1992)
- Jerry Goldsmith: Total Recall (Paul Verhoeven, 1990)
- Don Davis: The Matrix (The Wachowski Brothers, 1999)
- James Horner: Avatar (James Cameron, 2009)
* All Soundtracks Live! concert programs are subject to client customization to meet your specific demands. Please contact Soundtracks Live! to discuss!
Suggested SOUNDTRACKS LIVE! conductor for this program: DON DAVIS
VIDEO: James Horner: Avatar (James Cameron, 2009):
VIDEO: Jerry Goldsmith: Alien (Ridley Scott, 1979):
SPOTIFY: Selected concert pieces (please note that arrangements may differ slightly from the versions available on Spotify).